Wednesday, August 02, 2006

i'm back!

Hello, blogosphere. It's been a long time, but I have finally returned. I know my audience is crying tears of joy as they read.

I returned to Arkansas last week, and I am so glad to be back. I had a wonderful time in Georgia, and I made some terrific friends whom I will cherish for the rest of my life...but there is nothing like home. I hope to make it back to Georgia at least once this school year for a visit, so hopefully I can save up enough money to make that happen.

Speaking of money, I was at the bank yesterday depositing some money, and I had to go inside because my checkbook is MIA and I needed a deposit slip. So I went inside, deposited a measly $175, and went back to my car. I had just started up the Honda when I noticed a young, relatively attractive man leaving the building. I thought to myself, "Hmm, he's pretty good-looking." It's not that I was really shopping around with the intent to buy, but I'm single, and there's no harm in asking yourself the hypothetical "would I ever date that guy" question.

So there I was, sitting in my environmentally friendly, low-emission Honda, watching an attractive late-twentysomething or early-thirtysomething man walk to his car...which turned out to be a brand new white Mustang GT.

At this juncture, many women would be impressed. "What a hot car," they'd say, or, "I bet he's loaded," they'd think. But me? When I saw him arrogantly stride to his Mustang GT, I scoffed in disgust. I could only think of how much money he'd wasted on such a ridiculous automobile when, no matter what people (ahem, advertisers) say, the car's sole purpose is still to get a person from point A to point B. I also wondered whether he cared that his car only gets 17 miles to the gallon, or whether he realized that he'd be spending twice as much as I do at the gas station. When I saw him drive away, I deemed him fiscally, socially, and environmentally irresponsible.

So, yesterday I realized something about myself. At one point, I might have been one of those women who finds expensive, gas-guzzling cars attractive, but not anymore. I'm no longer attracted to guys who drive cool cars and have lots of trendy stuff. If the guy at the bank had driven away in a small four-cylinder hybrid, I just might have chased him down and asked him to go get a cup of fair-trade coffee. But a mustang? Psssh. No thanks.

Maybe this means I've grown up a little bit. Either that, or I've turned into a complete hippie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sniff* Welcome back *sniff*

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with being a hippie?? I'm so proud you've turned into a tree-hugger!! Welcome to the other side. :)

Anonymous said...

We are so smart. I cannot wait for our celebration of the century. Can we also watch Family Guy this week? Okay cool.

Ross said...

Hey, you know what's awesome ... when you post more than once a month. Also, when you leave comments on the blog I work so hard on.

Anonymous said...

lol, great story and I shall recommend Vermont to you for your next vacation. My girlfriend is from there and I think, judging from your post, that you'd love it there. Plus its beautiful and the people are great as long as your car is enviro friendly and you're not a republican :)

Anonymous said...

lol, great story and I shall recommend Vermont to you for your next vacation. My girlfriend is from there and I think, judging from your post, that you'd love it there. Plus its beautiful and the people are great as long as your car is enviro friendly and you're not a republican :)