Monday, April 24, 2006

(pseudo)intellectual conversations

One of the great things about being a graduate assistant is that they cram you in an office with several other graduate assistants and expect you to be productive. If there aren't enough distractions in your own office, you can always go to the office a few doors over and let them serve as your distraction. That is exactly what I did today. There wasn't much action going on in my own office, and I was up for a hilarious conversation of some kind. Plus, the other office has a really comfortable green lounge chair.

I'm not sure how it came up, but we started talking about love and relationships and all the other looming life questions that plague directionless twentysomethings in graduate programs. It was interesting to hear the points of view of my peers, but what was hilarious was when we tried to sound smart about every point we made. Maybe we all think if we can apply some recently learned theory, it will make our arguments sound more credible. Relationship paradigm, relationship schema, standard deviation...I heard all these things today in serious conversation. (Well, I think the standard deviation thing was a joke...but there were more I'm forgetting.)

If you could be a fly on the wall in an office full of graduate assistants, the pseudointellectual conversations you'd hear would never cease to amaze you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i definately need to go to grad school so i can dumb it down some. :)

Leah said...

Haha...you could probably succeed in doing that. No offense, of course!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... quite quaint.

That's all I got.